- Taxation of the company and its business, Universidad Adolfo Ibañez, 1998.
- Workshop of Improvement Civil Law for lawyers, first semester of 1997, Universidad de Chile.
- Universidad de Chile, School of Law, LL.B., 1983.
Awards and Recognitions
- Outstanding lawyer in Corporate and M&A, Chambers Latin America, Latin Lawyer and The Legal 500.
- “LEGAL ENVIRONMENT REPORT OF THE BELT AND ROAD COUNTRIES” Chilean chapter, published by Peking University Press in both English and Chinese, in collaboration with All China Lawyers Association 2018 (“ACLA”) for ACLA’s project “Guidance of Laws of the ‘Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road Countries and Regions for Investors”.
- What is Democracy, 1988 (Editorial Jurídica de Chile y Editorial Andrés Bello).
- International Bar Association
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
Sergio is a partner of our firm since 1999. Before joining the Firm, he was a partner of the law firm Díez Pérez-Cotapos Silva & Lira that merged with Cariola in 1999.
He heads one of our M&A groups. His area of practice are Corporate Law, contracts and agreements and serves as legal counsel for local and foreign clients of the most diverse areas, such as oil, energy, industrial, agro industrial, laboratories, gaming casinos, hotel industry, fishing and aquaculture industry, among others. He has participated in several transactions for the purchase, sale and financing of various companies, assisting foreign clients through the whole purchase process.
Sergio also counsels in due diligence processes, contracts preparation for the sale/purchase of shares and shareholders agreements, contract franchises, as well as contracts PPP, EPC, O&M, among others.
Sergio participates in company’s board of directors and advises large companies with its operations in Chile on a daily basis: Empresas Públicas de Medellín, Starwood, Whirlpool, Tractebel, SGS, Experian, Chevron, Cofco, Nippon Suisan, Rimowa, Grupo Bursátil Mexicano, SK Berge, among others. He has also led relevant transactions such as: the purchase Repsol’s chain of service stations in Chile from Terpel for USD 280M; the purchase and construction of a wind farm to EPM for USD 220M; the acquisition of Aguas de Antofagasta for USD 975M; the sale of Terpel to Enex for USD 270M and the sale of Chevron to Petrobras.
In addition, Sergio leads the Asia-Pacific Department (Asia-Pacific Desk) representing many Asian companies in their investments in Chile, particularly Chinese state-owned and private firms in all areas of the economy, energy and industrial.