- Universidad de Chile, School of Law, LL.B., 1990.
- Chile, 1990.
Awards and Recognitions
- Outstanding lawyer in Corporate / M&A, Chambers Latin America.
- Leading Lawyer in Corporate / M&A, The Legal 500.
- Leading lawyer in Energy and Infrastructure, M&A and Project Development, IFLR 1000.
- Best Lawyer in Corporate / M&A, Best Lawyers (2012).
- International Bar Association.
- Legal section of ICARE.
- Spanish and English.
ExperienceGerardo joined Cariola in 1990 and became a partner in 1996.
His practice area is Corporate Law, especially in M&A. He is also an expert advisor and litigator in antitrust matters. With more than 25 years of professional practice, he has been involved in mergers and acquisitions of more than 50 companies in several areas such as energy, salmon producers, and retailers, among others. He has participated in some of the most emblematic cases of competition/antirust that have been debated before our courts, including the defense of companies such as Shell, Banmédica, Empresas Emel, Reebok, Unilever, Lefersa, etc.
He has also held different positions in private companies, trade associations and in the Government. He has been Counselor of the SOFOFA (local trade association), Member of the Court of Ethics of the Chilean Bar Association, President of the Judicial Observatory of Libertad y Desarrollo, President of Soprole S.A. and Minister of Education at the Government of the President Sebastián Piñera.